Four years ago next weekend I found out Erin was expecting a baby. Once I knew how she was decorating the nursery, I found fabric that would coordinate and started on a baby quilt for Layton. I knew it wouldn't be done with it before the baby shower, but my goal was before Layton was born. Well, I worked on it for a little bit off and on. I even got it 95% done and gave it to Layton for his 2nd Christmas. But took it back to finish the binding. Two years later, it is completely done and in his possession. He turned 3 this past November. Whoops!
The fabric coordinates with his room that is decorated in navy and green. The picture makes this look more 'olive green' but I don't think it's actually that same color. As for the pattern, I literally just cute strips of fabric in different widths, sewed them together, then cut rose strips in different color. It didn't turn out exactly like I had envisioned, but I doubt a boy cares much about a quilt pattern. And it's a little weird shape. I just kind of made it whatever size I felt like it should be, but now I know what size a baby/crib quilt is supposed to be for future quilts.
| The front view of my totally random pattern. |
I wanted the back to be fun, so it's a navy chevron pattern. I had thought about putting a color stripe through it, but decided to just make it a solid piece. I hand stitched the three layers together and used navy binding and hand stitched it on, as well.
You can't see it, but Layton's name is in the bottom corner along with my name. I put "Emily" because "Fairy Godmother" was a lot to stitch. :)
Since getting my sewing machine fixed from the terribly awful squeaking noise it made last time I used it, I have been in a big quilting kick. I've been pinning cute quilts like crazy. I found an adorable new fabric shop in Clintonville that makes me want to buy all of the fabric and make all the quilts. They have a 'quilting lounge' that anyone can use, so I plan to do that in the coming weeks and then this weekend I plan to go quilt with Jennifer and Stephanie.
I have one quilt that's about 75% done in my basket, another that needs the larger squares sewn together, one that has the fabric cut in the first round and then I ordered fabric today for a fourth one. The first two are just quilts I started 4 and 5 years ago for myself and the other two will be gifts that need to be done soon! So much quilting!
No comments:
Post a Comment