Tuesday, September 9, 2014

In A Funk

This past few days I've been in a funk of being super tired, pouty, and just 'ugh'. I'm sure it's a combination of things - school started about three weeks ago, I got back on my regular med schedule which I had been slacking on over the summer, and just life in general.

It wasn't until lunch today when I was avoiding getting back to work and decided to read back on the blog to see what was going on at this time last year that I realized I was feeling similar last year. So I guess this is typical for me and this time of year when school is starting back up and my schedule completely changes. I need to get used to my new normal and new routine.

Last year I wrote that my goals were to separate my work life and personal life better. I need to unplug when I get home again this year and quit checking my work Facebook, twitter, instagram and email. And my personal one too. Sunday afternoon I got home and I laid on the couch checking social media for a solid hour and more. Ridiculous. I could have done something so much more productive. I'm tempted to just delete it all off my phone, but I keep it because I say I need it for work purposes. But does anyone really notice a phone of a chili cook-off alumni event gets uploaded during the event or two hours after? No.

We're in the middle of week three of school and tonight is the first night that I haven't had something in the evening. Not a meeting. Not a welcome event. A fraternity activity. An interview. So it was nice to just come home eat dinner, read a magazine, do my Bible study homework and walk to the gym. I even had time to call my grandma and chat, which is always nice.

My Bible study started back up last night and I'm really glad for that. I feel like during the summer I get so disconnected and have definitely noticed my attitude changing lately to "I have to make things happen" instead of "God will make them be how they are supposed to be." This me 'making things happen' and them not is probably another contributing factor to my funky mood. I should just leave it up to God.

I mentioned getting back on my med schedule. About three years ago I started regularly taking a small dosage of medicine to treat anxiety. In the spring my doctor and I cut it back even more for the summer with the option of me going back to my original dosage if needed when fall rolled around, it got colder, and be ahead of the game for the 'winter blues' so many can get. Well of course I decided to start that over the weekend after I had been taking the lower dose this summer (if at all). So the normal (for me) first week side effects of moodiness, fatigue and insomnia (which is fantastic with fatigue, I might add) hit me this week too.

I have two big events coming up over the next few weeks, then a little bit of a break before I travel out of town, which sounds nice, but it's for work and can be a little stressful in addition to some fun times too.

So that's where I am. I wish Labor Day was this coming Monday. I would appreciate it much more if it was than I did two weeks ago when it was basically still part of my summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment