So Saturday I noticed these little 'rice' looking things on Bowie's back side (aka, her butt. I just feel like that word is degrading to her). I had hoped she'd sat in something, it was the litter, or it was just something else. Just something! Anything other than what I feared. I cleaned her up, but sure enough they were back on Monday. Ugh.
Again, cleaned her up and headed out to officiate my track meet. On the way home I started wondering about these little 'pieces of rice' so I googled it.
"white rice on cat's butt" is what I searched.
(If anyone searched that and ended up here on my blog, you're in luck cause you'll find out what is wrong!)
Every result that came up was for tapeworms. Of course! It wasn't enough that she was in heat for the first 30 days of the year, then we dealt with surgery recovery for the next three weeks. Then a week of terror when we watched the devil cat while Kate was on Spring Break. Then I got 'pink eye'/allergic reaction to medicine. And now we have worms! We can't catch a break.
So if your cat is eating more than normal (she was, I thought it was a growth spurt), her hair isn't as shiny (it's not!), she lays around more than usual (she's not in to playing with toys much these days), she is aggressive (girl has been biting my ankles non stop while I get ready in the morning) and most noticibly, has white rice looking pieces on her behind, then your cat probably has tapeworm!
Luckily, there is a pill that your vet can give you and will kill the worm.
Getting your cat to take the pill is a whole 'nother story. I had to go to Giant Eagle (in my pajamas!) at 11pm to get wet cat food to hide the crunched up pill in because she would not eat it in her dry food. And then I starved her until she had no choice but to eat the medicine filled patte.
| I don't feel good mom. |
Here's to no more tapeworms. Thank goodness I can't get them.
Eww! My cat had tapeworm last year and I FREAKED. We took her to an ER vet because I had no idea what was going on and how dangerous it was. Thankfully the pills worked! It's not a fun thing at all, but thankfully it's not serious.
ReplyDelete