Sunday, January 27, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty & Cheerleading

Obviously the Zero Dark Thirty and cheerleading have nothing in common, other than those were the two highlights of my weekend.

Saturday night, I went to my aunt and uncles for dinner and went to see Zero Dark Thirty with my aunt and Lauren. I was so excited to see it because when I say I have crush on Taylor Kinney, it's the understatement of the year. First he's a super hot fireman in Chicago Fire and now he's playing a Navy SEAL. I'm going to faint just thinking about it. 


So Taylor was in the movie and I was expecting to watch this gorgeous man for 2.5 hours, but unfortunately he was only it about the last 30 minutes and his one line was "what are you listening to?" to another SEAL on their way to OBL's compound in the helicopter. Bummer. 

Love a man in uniform!
But that's ok because the movie was really good. It hit home because this is what my generation will be known for - 9/11, terrorism from and in the middle east, and killing OBL. These people doing this were my age, or at least close to it. I was living while all of this was going on in the world. I have so much respect for those that work in those conditions daily to protect our country and those SEAL's that do those secret missions. I was on pins and needles just watching a movie about them, I couldn't imagine being them or being married to one! Cheers to you men!

Speaking of cheers....I knew I could tie this together somehow!....today Alicia and I went to a cheerleading competition at OSU. We were there to watch our friends who are coaches for one of the suburban schools around here. As two former cheerleaders, we were in cheer heaven.

We judged, critiqued, laughed and cheered for all of the girls (and a few fella's) that were cheering their hearts out. So much has changed since when I was a cheerleader 10 years ago...styles of signs, uniforms, hair, bows, tumbling! I can't count the number of front walkovers we saw! Like every routine. AND the splits! Who does those anymore? We decided that in order to be a winner you have to have awesome music and some that's different from anyone else. You cannot use whatever is popular right now. I can't tell you how many times we heard "Starships". What we didn't hear - country music. If you want to stand out, use country.

There were also lots of awkward moves, like the double cartwheels, back walkovers, bad tumbling, provocative dancing. All provided good laughs. :)

Teays Valley was awesome! And had the cutest uniforms!

cheerleaders for the coaches

go north!

all the cheerleaders dancing on the floor! jealous.

1 comment:

  1. I love watching cheer competitions too! I don't think the awkwardness and questionable music choices go away, no matter how long it's been since last being on that floor myself. One thing I'm always in awe of is how different the uniforms get every year. Shirts, skirts, pants, mesh -- I think I've seen it all. -Jennine @ UE Sports

    ReplyDelete