Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bowie Lately

Someone asked me recently if Bowie was my pet or my roommate. I replied "I live in her house." And it's so true.

I'd never had a pet before Bowie joined me back in June, so I had no idea how much personality they can have or how diva like cats can me. Holy Moly!

Right after the first of the year, Bowie went through her first heat cycle. OMG! That was miserable. For both of us. I couldn't take the whining and rolling on the floor, and pigeon like purring. The cries at night were the worst. I thought about opening that back door at 3am multiple times. But then I'd probably end up with a litter of 8 kittens come March. THAT was not going to happen.

I've always had every intention of getting her spayed, but the vet we go to is 'home, home' and I didn't want to deal with it over Christmas. I was selfish and now I'm suffering. And so is she. Ugh. #worstmomoftheyear

But I think we're over this first heat cycle and she's scheduled to get spayed real soon. She has no idea what's coming. She is going to hate me and I'm afraid I don't have the patience right now to deal with a recovering cat. I thought cats were easy animals? Why is mine so high maintenance?

She went through a spell of dumping her water bowl out - so I had to get rid of her "place mat" (it was just a dish towel!). I swear she's always, always drank a ton of water. It's her favorite. She drinks more water than she eats food. So I've had to switch back to drinking water out of a bottle because any time I sit a glass down, she's drinking it. She doesn't touch my milk, tea or hot chocolate. But if it's water, she has her head down in the glass trying to get to it. 

Another new trick she's learned is to jump on the mantel. It started when I took the Christmas decor down, so I'm thinking I need to fill it up again with stuff so she can't get up there. OR she'll knock it all off. Probably the later.

I'm not supposed to be up here!

I think that's all for her new tricks. The last few nights she's been an ok sleeper. At least we aren't whining all night. But when she is awake, she wants me awake too. So to wake me up she scratches on the side of my dresser. She doesn't hurt it, but it makes a really loud noise that I hate. And when she's sleeping she wants to be right next to me.

But if I occassionally fall asleep on the couch, she's fine. She doesn't bother me at all and sleeps the entire night through on her cat bed staring out the window. I think she's in that adolescent phase where she needs me for comfort. You know, how you had to have your mom or dad sleep on our bedroom floor when you were little just to know they were there for comfort? I know that wasn't just me. Right?

How I woke up this morning - she has so many options of where to sleep!!!!!!!! But she chooses my pillow/head.

So anyway. I love my cat. But if anyone would like to babysit anytime soon, I might be willing to lend her out for a few days. Or at least one night so I could sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. I mean, even parents of real humans want a night away from their kids sometimes. Is it bad that I'm looking forward to her being drugged out after her surgery? :)

Wearing her houndstooth for the Alabama-Notre Dame National Championship Game! Roll Tide!
 When I get really frustrated with her, I just look at old pictures of her when she was a wee-little thing. They usually make me happy.

Bowie when she was cute, slept 90% of the day and wasn't annoying.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! She kills me! We love her over here but sad you are not getting much sleep :( Hopefully she will do better after her surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to burst your bubble but after sterling was fixed I picked her up and she was dopy until around 3am when she woke me up with her squeaky duck in my ear ready to rock and roll. I was like wtf?!

    ReplyDelete