Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Olympics - a hot mess in Sochi

The 2014 Winter Olympics have come and gone. I was so excited for them I couldn't stand it, but then found myself not watching them as much as I thought I would once they were here.



I went to Jill's to watch the opening ceremony. We had a little pizza party and I wore my American flag sweater. Olympic parties are always fun. I was pumped for the opening ceremony, but it was a bit of a disappointment.  For some reason, I always thought the big 'to do' happened before the athletes walked out, but maybe not? It make sense for them to be there and watch it, since they ARE the ones who have worked to get there and all. I thought the closing ceremony was sooo much better and I loved that they poked fun at the fact that the one snowflake didn't turn into the Olympic ring during the opening ceremony.

As for the competitions, the time difference was bad. They were competing while we were sleeping, so in the evening we already knew what had happened and they just showed these little bits and I only saw one medal ceremony because they waited to show those at the very end of the night and well, I was already asleep by then! I'm glad Bob Costas' eye problem finally healed up. And I wish I had cable so I could have watched a channel that showed all of the figure skating competition and not just the three Americans and the ones they already knew were going to win. I feel like a lot of Americans that were picked to win their events didn't, and that just makes me sad for them. I mean, some of them still got a silver or bronze medal, and heck, they were competing in the Olympics - something I'll never get to do unless I take up curling my hair when I retire - so they aren't that bad off. But it still has to be disaapointing knowing that you were only .03 seconds away from a gold medal. Poor Bode Miller and Gracie Gold. #soclose

We didn't have a get together like we did for the summer Olympics in 2012, but I probably couldn't have gone anyway because I was sick most of the last month with a sinus infection and lots of coughing. Too many of my friends have babies these days to be spreading germs around.

Waiting a really long time for my Rx at the pharmacy.


I did go ice skating while the Olympics were going on, and while I like to think of myself as an okay skater, I have many skills left to acquire before competing in South Korea in four years. Basically all skills after skating backwards in the wave pattern. But I can skate on one foot for as long as it takes Molly to snap the picture.

You can't tell which one is me? 
Yes, I wore the pants to 'fit the role'.

And did you hear about all of the #sochiproblems from before the games started? What a hot mess! How can an event as large as hosting the Olympics not have their stuff together? I read this article a few days after the olympics started and while at first I thought "yeah, the Americans are being a little bratty by posting pictures of stuff not read", I really think it's an embarrassment for Russia that they have such poor infrastructure, leadership,and organization AND water that is never suitable for drinking, EVER!, yet they spend more than $50billion on hosting the Olympic games. Now I know not all of that money came from the government, but some of it did. I'm hoping that with the revenue they've made over the past three weeks, they work on things that need to be done in the best interest of their citizens. And to talk about the way they treat their workers? I'm in a volunteer and human resource management class right now and I'm sure most of what was described about workers leaving and a new shift coming in to pick up where the last group left off, is probably the worst way to run an organization. And the translation? How do you not get a better translator? It's the olympics!!!! End rant.

I'm looking forward to the summer Olympics in just 2 years. Maybe I'll even be there? My bro is going to the World Cup this summer, so maybe he'll be up for another trip to Rio! #ihope


1 comment:

  1. are those leggings? if so i love em. for pants too i love em. i didnt watch much of the Olympics. not much my thang. i missed the ice skating tho. that's my fave.

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/02/read-all-about-it.html

    ReplyDelete