Last night, Molly and I walked to get ice cream at Jeni's for the first time this summer - and actually probably the first time since she moved in with me almost a year ago! It's about a .5 mile walk to the scoop shop from my house - close enough to walk, far enough to 'walk off' the calories you eat while you're there.
On the way home, we were talking about the upcoming vet appointment I have for my grandparents barn cat, Stubby. Stubby is quite a hot mess. She has no tail, we think she might have been hit by a car at one time (about 8 years ago) so she walks with this limp on her back hip and now she has this horrible face problem that the vet thinks is part wounds and lingering infection from a cat fight and also part Squamous Cell Carcinoma (cancer of the nose and eyes in cats). :( Basically, Stubby's in bad shape.
While walking Molly said "Cancer sucks so much. It sucks so bad that even our pets can get it." And it's true. Cancer sucks. I obviously don't want any human to have to deal with cancer ever and value a person's life over the life of a pet, but I also can't help but have a little tug on the heart strings when these little animals can't speak up and say "hey, my face isn't feeling so well, can you take me to the vet?"
But the point is, cancer sucks. Last year I rode in Pelotonia and thankfully had family and friends donate to my ride so I was able to raise $2,300 for cancer research at The James at the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University. I haven't registered to participate in Pelotonia 2016 yet. I'm undecided if I'm going to ride, or maybe just volunteer this year. My 2015 riding partner is getting married the following weekend and is probably out for this year (I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to ride) and maybe I'll look for other ways to help out with the fight against cancer.
One way I can help is by alerting all my readers (How many do I really have, maybe 5? Hi Mom! Hi Molly! Hi Jill! Anyone else that reads, comment and let me know!) on some of the ways they can prevent cancer. The graphic below was shared with me by the Mesothelioma + Asbestos Awareness Center and shares how you can prevent cancer in your life. I know I could be doing better in each of these areas, especially when it comes to eating more vegetables and exercising more often (I fell off the wagon, remember). And I live in a really old apartment, so it should probably be checked for toxins. Landlord Amy, help!
While cancer can't be prevented, there are things you can do to lessen your risks, so do those! Making some quick changes to your everyday habits can greatly lower your risk for cancer. Just eating right and getting moderate exercise every day helps a huge amount! Also, getting your house or apartment checked for toxins like asbestos or radon is so important!
And if you are interested in getting involved in Pelotonia 2016, let me know.
And please keep little Stubby in your prayers. We'll find out on Friday if her medicine has been helping or if it's in the best interest of her health to go to kitty heaven. :(

No comments:
Post a Comment