Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A quilt for Charlotte

Erica and Charlie were in Ohio this week for Spring Break, so I was able to see them while I was at my parent's house this weekend. I was also able to give her the quilt that I have been working on. I had a lot of last minute things to do in order to get it done, so I stayed up late two nights, but I was not going to have her go back to Florida without it!

I had picked this fabric out from Hobby Lobby back before she was born. It of course hung out on my closet for months. Once I got my machine fixed and finished Cooper's quilt, I got to work on this one. I took a short break to get Tyson's done before the baby shower, but this one was a lot more work. Smaller squares = more time spent sewing the rows. Lesson learned. I thought sewing the binding on with the machine would mean less work, but it actually took me longer than if I'd just hand stitched it!

I like the front, but I LOVE the back! I think these prints really needed to be in larger blocks since they're somewhat large patterns. I hand stitched her name in gold floss. Never using metallic floss again. It's so hard to use! I was going to put her birth date and the quote "Follow your arrow" to go with the arrow print fabric, but there was no way I was doing that much more stitching!

The front

The back
Her "formal" name
Charlie loved her quilt. Her mama also loved it too! She said it was "very Charlie." I hope she still sleeps with it when she's 26 (like someone else I know). 
Me and Charlotte with her quilt! She's just the cutest little thing!

And my helper for the project:

This completes my last quilt that I had a 'due date'. I have two quilts that I started for myself 4 years ago, so I think I'm going to complete those and then start on gift quilts again. I've never completed a quilt for myself, so that's a goal for this spring/summer.

Here are some of the fabrics I used in Charlie's quilt. Not all of them are on the Hobby Lobby website.
Gold & White Polka Dot (used on the front and the binding)
Gold & White Chevron (used on the front and back)
Blue/Pink, White & Gold Chevron (used on the front and back)
Gold & White Arrow (used on the front and back)

No comments:

Post a Comment