Thursday, July 10, 2014

June Stuff

June was a fairly busy busy, but also a pretty relaxing one. I didn't have much on the calendar during the week so I got in lots of bike rides, evening runs, trips to the gym, hours by the pool and a few sand volleyball games at the fraternity house. My game is slowing improving. Very slow.

On June 9 my little brother left for Brazil. He was headed to the World Cup in Rio de Janerio with a few college friends. This was his first plane and international traveling experience. I think he was a little nervous, but he ended up loving it. Molly and I took him to the airport to send him off. 
All ready for his first flight!

Security

And this is when I bawled my eyes out.
On top of Sugar Loaf Mountain in Rio

 He had a great time while in Brazil. We talked almost all day every day while he was there. I've talked to him maybe two times in the two weeks he has been back! ha. He got to go to the Argentina/Bosnia game where he got to see the great Messi play. Argentina is set to play in the final game this Sunday, so I hope they win and then win it all so that Ty can say he saw the World Cup champions play. How cool?

A few years ago I donated blood for the first time. It was a huge thing for me. Then I did it again last year and wanted to keep my streak going this year too. I didn't have time to donate the day that they had the blood drive in my building at work, so I went to the Blood Donation center on Bethel Road and gave one night. I didn't get light headed or pass out, so it was a success!

For the third time, the tech said I had awesome veins for donating blood. What can I say, I was born for it I guess?


I look like I'm going to pass out at any moment.

The same night that I gave blood I went to Home Depot and picked out a paint for my bathroom. Since I'm renting, I'm technically not supposed to paint the walls, but after four years, I need a change. My bathroom was all white - white floor, white tub, white sink, white toilet, white walls. So I decided to go with a gray with brown undertones. I love how it turned out. Absolutely love it!
before

after (before shelf got stained)

Father's Day weekend I did a few projects. One of those was to restain the shelf that hangs above my sink. It was stained in "driftwood' originally, but I was wanting something less orange. I don't remember my new color, but it is much darker and looks great with the gray walls. I don't have a final picture of it hanging up though.

Before (sanded)

After
I also found a map of the United States at an antique store in Clintonville. I had been looking for one forever to hang in my house and put tacks where I had traveled and finally found one that fit the picture I have had in my head! It's seriously been years since I've been looking and there it was, just sitting outside of the antique store on the sidewalk. Meant to be!

I didn't care for the finish it had on the frame, so I sanded it down and brushed the same dark stain on it (very carefully!!!) and then hung it in my hallway, adding all of the little pins representing my travels across the United States. The map already has an orange tint to it because it's so faded, so I love how the dark stain makes the lines pop more. I've considered painting my hallway a light aqua color just to accent that map.


Before sanding

After sanding and staining and hanging

In June I also made quite a few visits to FFA camp and then chopped my hair off and got it highlighted. Pictures to come later because they aren't uploaded from my phone yet! :)


1 comment: