Sunday, July 27, 2014

Remembering a Fallen Soldier

In early June, Justin Helton, a soldier from Beaver (which is a town next to my hometown) was killed in Afghanistan. I didn't know Justin, but I remember him from playing basketball and baseball against my brother many years ago and Molly knew him too through high school activities. 

SPC Justin Helton
The day that he was returning to Pike County for the last time, I was actually going to be in town, so I was able to watch the procession bring him to Waverly and then again to Beaver for the funeral. 

Returning to America.


I was about 2 hours ahead of the procession as I drove down 23 to get from Columbus to Piketon, but I cried the entire way because of the support so many people and businesses were showing for Justin. Almost every businesses had a sign up in his honor, flags lined the highway and hung from overpasses, people were sitting along the road to pay their respects. It was just so touching. I'm a softy anyway, but add something patriotic and I'm total waterworks.




I watched the first day of the procession at the church with Mam, Papaw, Randy, Molly and John. There were around 400 bikes that rode with the hearse from Columbus to Waverly. 



This is the town square of his hometown.

Saturday night we went to the Chillicothe Paints game for my Dad's birthday, but it also happened to be Veterans Night and they recognized Justin there as well.

precious men standing that were a part of the Vietnam War


On Sunday, Justin's funeral was held at Eastern High School, so there was a procession from Waverly to Beaver and it went through Piketon. Molly, Mom and I went down and watched in front of Richie's. This day was sad because so many people that we knew were riding along with the hearse to go to the funeral.

Molly and I, thankful for Justin and our freedom.




I'm so thankful for Justin and the many, many soldiers that serve our country each day. I was glad that I was able to be in Pike County the weekend that his services were held so I could pay my respects. It was a very patriotic and humbling weekend. I hope I never have to attend something like this ever again.

I rag on my hometown a lot, but I'm also very proud of how they come together to support each other. The number one reason why I'm proud to be from a small town. :)

Justin's funeral services.
You can read all about Justin and his services here. Please remember his family, girlfriend and all his friends in your prayers, along with the same for the four other soldiers killed at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. This really made me cry a lot! My oldest friend was killed in Afghanistan in 2011, so these pictures brought back all of those memories. I'm also from a small town, so it was very similar. As sad as it is, it also felt like an honor to be part of it. I don't know if you felt that way as well!

    ReplyDelete