Thursday, November 1, 2012

28 in 28

For Brittany's 28th Birthday she wanted to do a 28 in 28 thing, which is where she would do 28 good deeds in 28 days until her 28 birthday. Brilliant, right? (Kind of like how I wanted to do 28 good deeds ON my 28th birthday next April.)

She encouraged her students and blogger friends to participate. And while I really would have liked to do 28 things, I only did a handfull. But it definitely brought to my attention (again) how doing random nice things for other people can make their day.

Photobucket />

Taking students to lunch
I remember being a college student and not ever having a lot of money, so I took one girl to Panera one day who wanted to 'chat about life' (Oh the stress of college boyfriends. I wanted to tell her it doesn't get any better after college either!) and another day I was running out to Wendy's so I just asked my student worker what she wanted and picked it up for her. She was thrilled! I need to do that more often.

Last week in Indianapolis I was going to buy the three students that were with me milkshakes, but there was a 45 minute wait and it was already 1am, so we just opted to go back to the hotel. So I tried.

Road side assistance
Have you ever come upon a car accident before the first responders got there? I have a time or two and always called 911. I've never been at one where anyone was hurt, just scared, so I usually called and left. Well about 5 weeks ago I was on my way home one really early Saturday morning (to my parents house from Columbus for Bowie's vet apopintment, just to clarify) and it was really foggy. Anyway, I came upon this "it just happened" accident, so I pulled over and went running to the car. There were three cars involved and a lot of blood. One car had two 18 year old girls in the car and one was injured pretty badly on the head. Like I said, lots of blood. Another car called 911 and I sat in a warm vehicle with these two really scared girls - holding a rag on the one's head and comforting the other that was so nervous and scared (she'd been the driver). After they were loaded by the EMT and taken to the hospital and I went to leave, the other lady that had also stopped asked if I was a nurse because I was so calm and knew exactly what to do. I laughingly told her 'no' and that I'm usually scared to death of blood, but now that I thought about it, I actually didn't even think of the blood the whole time I was with the girls. I just tried to keep them calm and focused on other things - track, soccer, boyfriends. I guess it was just the natural thing to do and my dad being a volunteer firefighter for so many years (30+) has set a great example of what it takes to be a first responder. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do that for a full-time career, but at lease I know how that I can handle myself in an emergency situation. And that I was there for those two girls, who both contacted me through facebook to say thank you. Their grandma's too!

Nice gestures
I brought popcorn home from Chicago for a friend.
And cupcakes for my sister.

So really, that wasn't that many at all now that I put them all down on 'paper.'

I've really got to start working for next April!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to participate. Even though you did do 28, these were REALLY GOOD. Probably better than my 28 combined!! Can't wait to see yours in April!

    ReplyDelete