Piketon's football team made the playoffs this year. And that's kind of a big deal in the Village. We last made the playoff's in 1997. Yeah, that was 15 years ago. Some of the kids playing on this year's football team were just tiny babies or WEREN'T EVEN BORN!
I was in the 7th grade back then. I was at my grandma's when we found out that we had snuck in to fourth place a secured a spot in the playoffs. The coaches had already collected the jerseys. I remember the entire town being so excited they had made it to the playoffs. There was even a giant banner that hung on the front of our high school that said "Ring their bells!" (We played Bellaire, FYI. We keep it classy.) :)
We played at Zanesville High School, which at 12 years old seemed like FOREVER away from Piketon. There were 7 of us crammed in to my parent's van - the five of us, one of my good friends and one of Tyler's good friends. We stopped at my grandparents on the way and they gave us a few bag of popcorn to take for the road trip. We ended up loosing the game. We were leading at half-time, but then we lost our steam.
For the last 15 years, that's been our football 'glory days'. You know, you see it in the movie when the small town still talks about the football team "taking state back in '98". Yeah, that us.
Anywho - this year we were 8-2. Easily our best record in 15 years. So we knew a few weeks out that we were going to make the playoffs. We played our first game against Minford. Minford had beat Piketon earlier in the season, so it was a little bit of revenge. Last Friday night Tyler and I went to the game and they won! Like massive winning. It was awesome - we had these long passes that were completed, touchdowns were scored. We blocked punts, recovered fumbles, intercepted passes. Just amazing! We made it to Week 2.
Week 2 wasn't so hot. I road tripped to the game with some friends from Columbus. We were playing the #1 seed in our region, so we kind of lost steam at halftime and ended up getting a pretty good beating. But for the first quarter and a half, we scored when they scored and it was even tied at 20 at one point. We didn't do anything wrong, St. Clairsville just did everything right!
![]() |
| Tyler and I before the game started! - Full of excitement. |
![]() |
| And at halftime! - Full of realization that it probably isn't going to be a victory night. |
![]() |
| So proud of my redstreaks. Even though I don't live there anymore, I still know more people than in my current town. |
| Me and my momma. |
Saturday evening Hilliard Davidson was playing in their second round playoff game. I'm making my best effort to get involved in things going on in Columbus so I can actually have a life here instead of having to go to Piketon all the time. I mean, it sucks to go somewhere and not know anyone, so I'm trying to change that. Last year when I went to the majority of the Davidson games I got to know lots of people, which is good to recognize people when you're out and about.
| Perfect weather for a football game! |
Brittany and I went to the playoff game on Saturday and sat with my aunt and uncle. It was 70 degrees Saturday night! Hardly football weather! Especially not Week 12 football weather. Davidson ended up winning over Olentangy and I didn't even take one picture! They play again this Saturday night at Ohio Wesleyan. Not sure if I'm going to make it to the game or not because Britt's going to be out of town and my aunt/uncle and all of their group will be at a wedding. So who am I going to sit with? Davidson games are always so much fun because they have so much school spirit and it's always a really good game because the teams are always good. Does anyone else love football like me and want to go to a game Saturday night? Please!



Our highschool was very small...and private lol so we were more a basketball place. I LOVE me some football tho and often drive by many of the high school games here in town. Are you coming to the Columbus blogger meet up on Saturday?
ReplyDelete