Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Honduras: Days 8 and 9

Day 8 we returned to Apacilagua to prepare and serve lunch to the high school students. We returned to the same house where we had been a week prior. There wasn't as much to do this time, so I just took photos of the students preparing the food and playing soccer with the kids. But we did teach some of the children how to play Duck, Duck, Goose (or Pato, Pato, Gonzo in Espanol) and I got in on a few rounds of that!

In this school, the kids go half days, so we served the first half of the school at 11:30am and the afternoon classes around 1:30pm. Here in Honduras everything is slow and not on time. The teacher showed up at 1:20 and the kids around the same time. Classes are supposed to start at 1pm. Drives me crazy!

Serving high school students was much different than serving at an elementary. At an elementary, little kids are excited to see us. At the high school I felt like I was being stared at or snickered about behind my back. The boy were also really good at making cat calls.

The highlight of the day though was getting to see little Sharon again. She was the little girl we referred to as "ag comm girl" last week because she was taking so many pictures on her iPod. As soon as she saw we were there, she went and got it and scrolled to the picture of me and her to show me. My heart!!

We had lunch around 2:30, then returned to Larry and Angie's around 5:30 for dinner. We had a big day ahead of us, so we had to get to bed early!

Trying to catch the little girl in the pink - she beat me!

I was just observing during this game.

Taking a selfie.

After the selfie when I realized I was not rocking the bandana that day.

The school from one side. 

These teens wanted their picture taken with Nick.

These little boys all taught Emily how to speak Spanish. 


Day 9 was our final work day at the Choluteca Vocational School. When we first got there, I helped a lot with the project that would become the weight room - leveling and spreading dirt. I also rotated job sites about every 20 minutes to take pictures of all the different groups.

Eventually it was time to pour the concrete on the front entrance project and I got pulled to help with that. I was excited because I had really enjoyed watching the pour on Saturday when we were in the mechanic shops. My job was to help spread the concrete after it got dumped in the frame. It was a fun job and I can now add mason to my resume! ;)

After that job was done we had a few other things to finish, but it just got so hot outside! It was almost unbearable. Some people were dropping like flies and spending time in the air condition break room, so we left around 2:30pm. We were originally supposed to leave at 4.

Luvine was a student that had helped all day Saturday and had really helped a lot the year before. He was the one to give me a hard time about the "beep beep" noise I made when backing up my wheelbarrow. He had been a fun one to be around, so we were sad to say good-bye to him and he was sad to see us leave!

To reward us for a big day of work, after dinner we walked over to Wendy's and got frosty's!! They taste the same as the USA, but something is a little big different, too!

Shoveling a little sand in 105 degrees.

More shoveling.

O-H-I-O with the storage trailer.

An ACEL O-H-I-O.

Dos Emilys

Beep Beep Beep

Official Trip blog: Day 8, Day 9

No comments:

Post a Comment