Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Honduras: Day 10

Day 10 had a little change in plans. We were supposed to tour the private hospital, as well as the community and school that is at the city dump, but we moved that to Saturday and nixed our day of relaxation. Instead, we traveled to a community called La Banaza and assisted in building an outhouse for a family that did not have one. Could you imagine not having bathroom at your home? This family didn't. There is a mother, father, and two teenage girls who live in this house. To use the restroom, they walk into the woods and are often watched my lurking men. This disgusts me. No one should have to worry about privacy when using the restroom.

The hole had already been dug, so the group did small tasks like carry bricks, mix morter, shovel wheelbarrows full of sand, sift sand/gravel, etc. We were only there for 4 hours because it was HOT! Everything had to be done by hand because this is a community you have to walk to on a path from the road. Bringing a cement mixer there was not an option.

The family was very grateful for our work. While we didn't get to see the project completed, they now have a private outhouse and shower. Gone are the days of showering behind a tarp. I'm so thankful that I was able to visit this community and be reminded of the many things that I take for granted every day. Prior to being at this home, I took for granted the ability to throw my used toilet paper in the toilet (you can't do that in Honduras). After being at this home I realize how grateful I am that I even have a toilet to use.

And funny story about while we were there, a neighboring house had music playing and it was Justin Bieber!

The hole for the "organic material" as it's being bricked.

Two children that were at the house the day we were there.

The shower that they currently have to use.

I learned how to mix mortar without a mixer.

I didn't assist on this project, but apparently someone grabbed my camera and caught me sitting down in the shade! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment