Wednesday, September 11, 2013

family weekend

A weekend in mid-August I got to see all sides of my family in a span of three days, which is practically unheard of. Two were for happy reasons, and unfortunately one was for not so happy reasons.

One of my grandpa's older brothers passed away. Bob was the brother that looked most like my Papaw. He lived down the street with us, and of all the siblings, I knew of him the best. We weren't close, but because he lived just down the street with his son and grandson (ultimate bachelor pad, right there), we would see them out and would talk with John Robert and Evan. Evan played ball at our high school and we'd always go cheer for him. He's come a long ways from his SS Fergie days.

So that Thursday I headed home with my aunt and we went to the funeral. I was meeting family and cousins for the first time, as my grandpas side of the family doesn't really ever get the extended family together. The siblings still talk a lot, but we don't do big family reunion gatherings. 

Bob had been sick, but was doing better and my heart just broke for Evan while at the funeral. After it was over we chatted about school, our grandpas, and other miscelaneous things before leaving the cemetary. Then we all went to Bob Evans to eat. In our little small town, it was the only place to go. So even though we didn't coordinate a "let's all go to Bob's" we all ended up there.

Friday afternoon Holly and the girls came in, so we got to visit with them on Friday and Saturday. I was so excited to see them because March was the last time I visited Chicago. The girls are a riot. So funny. Emery is just like me as a child, quiet, rule follower, backwards and shy, and Charley is just like Molly was as a child, center of attention, life of the party, class clown and so cute while doing it.

Em enjoyed playing a game on my iPad where you create a pet and dress it.
Laying down for our slumber party!
She loved Posey.
celebrating birthdays with cupcakes.
Saturday Holly and I hosted a shower for our oldest sister, Heather. Heather and her hubs are having their first baby and we are so excited for them. This shower was mostly family from my dad's side, that lives in Piketon but I don't see cause I live in Columbus. And also some cousins that I only see at the family events once a year or so. They're all older than me, Molly and Tyler, so we don't really ever hang out. Still good to see them though.

beautiful sister and soon-to-be nephew.
She enjoyed her cake.
Sunday was the Thompson Reunion. This is for Mam's side of the family. It gets smaller every year, especially since Grandma and Annie passed away three years ago. Now it is mostly just Grandma Primers side of the family and no one from Annie's side, which is sad. But it was still nice to see those cousins that I used to see every Sunday and now only see once or twice a year.
lunch line.
this general is all boys, where we were all girls.
my grandma and her sisters with their aunt.
after the photo was over, the sisters stayed like this and kept talking. ha. love them.

my thompson reunion family.


So all and all, it was a good weekend. Never in 28 years I have seen so much family in such a small time period, so I'm glad that happened. And it was also nice to get back to Columbus on Sunday night!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment