Monday, August 15, 2016

A Wedding Quilt

I started a new quilt project a while back, and as I typically do, I tried to work ahead so there wouldn't be any last minute stitching, but I was totally up till 1am a few nights before the wedding trying to get it done.

Quilting is really simple, but sometimes I forget that it's not as simple as I think and that certain parts of it do take up a lot of time.

So I quilted a throw for Stacie and Derek's living room and since I'm not sure how it's decorated, I made it a bunch of different colors. It turned out to be the most favorite quilt I've ever done. (Yes, I say that about all of them, but they just keep getting better I think!)

I originally found this picture below online and really liked it, so I decided to do something similar.


I started to go to the fabric stores and buy fabric in colors and patterns that I wanted, but first I went threw my scraps I have at home and I am so glad I did. With the exception of two fabrics that I ordered online, everything came from my stash! I liked it so much that I cut out double of everything so that I can make my own quilt just like it - or similar, since it won't be exactly the same.

The fabrics are all leftover from other quilts I've made, pillows that I made when I first moved in to my apartment 6 years ago, my sister's baby shower (I had sooooo much extra fabric for that), and a baby shower at work.


I forgot to take a picture at home, so I did at the reception hall! :)

For the back, I like to use extra fabric from the pattern on the front and sometimes I end up liking the back more than the front. For this one I used the two fabrics that I had ordered online, the purple to match their wedding colors and the aqua because they have aqua and greens in their house, and because it had Dogwood Flowers and I like them!


And as always, I did a little personalization in the bottom corner. 



I hope they liked it. It's by no means perfect. It has a lot of places that the binding didn't catch and I had to go back and touch up. I should have hand stitched it on instead of machine sewing, but I ran out of time! It will still serve it's purpose and keep someone that sleeps in their attic warm at night (because I froze the last time I stayed up there!).

And here is a picture of me with the babe of a bride. It was actually the only picture of us together somehow, but I do make a few appearances in this sneak peak video from their wedding day. A whole post to come soon.




1 comment:

  1. Love that quilt! I started quilting about 3 years ago and am sad to say that I haven't done much of it this year. I feel like it is a nice Fall / Winter activity. Regardless, this a great pattern and I think it may be my next one!

    ReplyDelete