Friday, May 8, 2015

Pelotonia



A few years ago a friend of mine rode in Pelotonia and until then, I really had no idea what it was. But hearing more from her, and doing a few long bike rides together while she was training, I started wishing I had signed up too. But by that point it was way too late in the game to a) train and b) raise the money that is required of participants. So I didn't do it that year. Or the next. But this year I am!

Three months from today I will be riding 100 miles from Columbus to Gambier. Am I crazy? Probably so! Am I excited? Definitely!



This summer I have a feeling I will be on my bike A LOT, which is not a bad thing by any means. I grew up riding my bike every evening and all evening around town with my friend Erin, so I'm looking forward to that past time again this summer. I just have to make sure Molly gets a bike to ride with me!

Because the ride is to raise awareness and funds for cancer research, there is a fundraising component to it. For the length I chose to ride, 100 miles, I am responsible for raising $1,800! If I don't raise that much, they withdrawal it from the checking account I had to provide during registration. They get their pledged amount one way or another and that's a lot of money that I just don't have sitting in the bank. So far in the 28 days that I've been registered I have already raised $874.50! I'm floored at the support I've received from friends and family. I'm so happy to already be at 48% of my goal with five months of fundraising still to go! You can help support cancer research and my ride by donating on my Pelotonia page.

I doubt there is anyone in the world who has not known someone who has been affected by cancer. This year I am riding in honor of my great- Grandma Primer and her twin sister, my Aunt Annie, who were both survivors of breast cancer at age 90. Cancer research and treatment allowed them to live an additional 10 healthy years. I am also riding in memory of Millie Dunham, a childhood neighbor and grandmother of my close friend Erin. She passed away in 2004 after a courageous battle with cancer. So many people have been affected by this horrible disease and I'm so honored that I can be a part of the fight to end it.




No comments:

Post a Comment