Ohio State's homecoming was a few weeks ago, and the fraternity I advise is known for their homecoming floats in the parade. So I spent a few evenings that week helping them out with the pomping, which is taking small sheets of tissue paper and stuffing them in chicken wire. There is a technique to it and I was taught the correct way to do it at my very first float build session last year. I was not doing it correctly prior to this. #mybad
The guys get SO into the float build and I get so giddy to see a group of 35 college age boys so into the largest craft project I've ever seen. There is no detail missed when doing these floats. If it doesn't look right, they'll tear it apart and do it again. This is why they've won this float competition the past four years. I can't take credit for anything because they come up with the idea on their own. They might consult me about certain details, etc. I can take credit for how they decorated the 'championship trophies' on the 2013 float. I did tell them to use clear plastic and put a light inside to make it shine. I like to think that's why they won, but I'm pretty sure it was the 1/16 exact scale of Ohio Stadium and the larger than life Brutus that kissed the national championship trophy. :)
Between all the guys and an entire week, I think they put around 450 man hours into this project. They came in just a tad over budget, but since they won, they actually made money thanks to a nice $1,000 first place prize. And of course, no one slept all week.
 |
| No OSHAA rules were violated during this process. |
 |
| Brutus is going to stomp the Rutgers helmet into the ground. |
 |
| Sometime around 1am. |
 |
| Finished product from the front. (The shorty shorts make me uncomfortable.) |
 |
| In the parade. |
I am a proud advisor, but there really wasn't any other floats that
compared to this one. Very proud of them and all their hardwork. They
represent the fraternity well and most days I'll claim them. :)
Molly and I went to the parade and sat with the guys that were not riding on the float and then watched the pep rally in the Ohio Union. It was hot and sweaty, but there were some really cool balloon artwork pieces around. I especially liked this balloon block o.
 |
| {My coat is the 2013 version of this one.} |
On Saturday, I actually got to go to the homecoming game with Stacie. Cara was also in town and she and Molly ended up going to the game too, but they were on the opposite side of the stadium as me. But I had a great time and even though it rained, I stayed dry in the suite! :)
 |
| Molly, myself and Cara at the O Zone prior to the game. |
 |
| Stacie and I before the game. |
 |
| Stacie and I at the game. |
 |
| They have the BEST cupcakes in the trustees suite! :) |
 |
| TBDBITL |
 |
| It was a cold, wet game, so there weren't a lot of people left for Carmen Ohio. |
 |
| Even though it was cold, we warmed up with hot chocolate and coffee before leaving! :) |
It was great to see so many friends - old and new - during homecoming weekend. I love later games too, because then there is more time for socializing with everyone at tailgates. And thank you Stacie for letting me be your date to the game again. :)
Ohio State is so special to me because it is my school. I graduated from OSU. The diploma on my office wall says The Ohio State University. When I sing Carmen Ohio I know every single word because it is my alma matter. I don't just cheer for the football team 14 days out of the year. Sometimes I get so annoyed with people that didn't go to my school, but still claim to be the biggest Buckeye fan or sing Carmen Ohio like it's their own song. Maybe that's wrong of me, but I'm pretty loyal to my school and I am so glad that I chose to be a Buckeye 12 years ago. I can't think of another university I'd want to be a part of for the rest of my life. I'm a proud alum.
No comments:
Post a Comment