Friday, June 6, 2014

Quick Trip to DC

A few years back my sister and her family moved from Chicago to a city close to Washington DC. I had been there to visit them once back in January, but the rest of my family hadn't been there.

My dad, Molly and myself took a little roadtrip this past weekend to see the girls, celebrate Charley's upcoming 3rd birthday and see some of the sites in DC. Molly had never been to DC and three  years ago (before I even know I'd have family moving there) I put "take Molly to Washington DC" on  my bucket list.

We left really early on Friday and despite Dad saying we would share the driving, he ended up driving all the way there and all the way back. We asked and asked if he needed a break and at one point he told me if I asked again I'd be walking back to Columbus. Ok pops, I will go back to sleep! :)

Friday afternoon and evening we spent playing outside and going for walks around the lake that is behind their house. We picked flowers, watched turtles, played with sticks in algea off the dock, and even saw some of the biggest snakes I've ever seen in real life basking on the rocks along the edge of the pond. They were gross and huge and I have the heebie geebies thinking about them right now.

Friday evening we had a movie night complete with popcorn. We watched Madagascar 3 (I haven't seen 1 and 2!) and may have nodded off for part of it. Whoops! Emery and Charley slept together in Char's bed and Molly and I got Em's princess room for the weekend.

Saturday morning, we got up early and ready to head downtown. We walked the Mall, rode the carousel, saw the Capital Building, Washington Monument, Reflecting Pool, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the White House. We walked by Fords Theatre and the Peterson House (where President Lincoln died). 

It was a full day, but I'd love to go back with her another time and do a tour so we can hear the history behind things and go to Arlington. I think she'd love that.

 
With Emery at the capital.

With Molly we took lots of selfies.

selfie at the Washington Monument.

with president lincoln.

reflecting pond selfie.

lincoln memorial selfie.

white house snapchat.
We did take pictures besides selfies. They're just all on my Canon and I haven't uploaded those pictures yet.

On the way back to the house from DC, we hit some traffic. I get motion sickness really easy, and even though I had taken my medicine, this time was no different. We ended up pulled along the median of the highway and I was propping myself up against the concrete divider sicker than a dog. This also happened last time I visited DC, but this time was not nearly as embarrassing, even though there were cars passing and honking their horns. Ugh.

Saturday evening we had pizza, Charley got to open her birthday presents and played outside for a little bit. We got up early on Sunday to head back to Ohio after breakfast. It was a great trip and the girls are so funny. Charley sings and talks and dances. She would perform for us and then bow and say "sank you, sank you, sank you". She's a hoot. I can't wait to go back and see them during my visit on the 4th of July!

Mandatory departure photo.
The drive home was quite boring. But Molly spiced it up by sending enhanced snapchats. And I had to join of course. Below are a few of our masterpieces.

What started it all.

Then I joined.



Then Ty got in on the action.

Never a dull day.


No comments:

Post a Comment