Day 4:
Breakfast at iHop
Dr. Pepper Museum
Drive to Austin
Austin shopping
Texas State Capital
Dinner at The Hula Hut
House Bars
We stayed all night in Waco and our plan was to do the Dr. Pepper Museum and then head to Austin. The DPM didn't open until noon, so we did brunch at IHOP. We had to wait a while, but it was fine. I'm also like 95% sure that the man we saw on Fixer Upper the day before was there at IHOP! He was this adorable WWII vet and we made eye contact several times and he spoke to us as we left the restaurant. I so badly wanted to ask if he was who I thought he was, but I didn't.
I also had a little breakdown at IHOP (sorry Cara!) because we were talking about Dr. Pepper and I was thinking about how it was my favorite pop, and my Papaw's favorite. And then how he would also bring boxes of pop to the house when we were younger. Always a mixture - grape pop, Dr. Pepper, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Mt. Dew, Crush. Basically he bought whatever was on sale at Kroger that week and he had a stash in his garage. And I thought of the coolers he'd bring to the fair - also a mix - in the cooler that was broken and wouldn't stay closed, but because he put a dowel rod in the hole where the button was, it worked. We even bought him a new cooler and he continued to use the old one! Gosh, I miss him so much.
The DPM was underwhelming (theme of Waco). There was no tour, just an old house that was a "museum". It was as if I'd printed out facts on my computer and then hung them on my walls with a collection of Dr. Pepper memoriabilia every now and then. Thankfully we got a student discount! The best part of the visit was getting a homemade Dr. Pepper from the soda jerk. It was made with syrup and it was delicious. It tasted a little flat cause it didn't have all of the carbonation, but great.
| This was for you Papaw! |
We drove to Austin and got checked into our "hotel." The Guild, as it was called, is an apartment complex that rents out some of its fully furnished rooms as hotels. We just stayed there one night, but if we were staying there for multiple days, it would have been awesome.
We went and walked around at their version of the Short North and went into a handful of shops to look around, including the YETI and Kendra Scott flagship stores. I also made Cara swing by the Texas capital building to grab a few pic and ended up talking her into going inside, which was AMAZING!
| Ann Richards - I met her one time at our county Democrat Party dinner. |
Did you know that the first female governor for the State of Texas was in 1933! Turns out, her husband was accused of not being a good governor and someone she ran in his place, so he could still be governor without being the one in the position.
| Ferguson - are we related? |
| The rotunda! It was beautiful. |
| The state seal on the floor. |
During the two years I was in Junior League, Cara and I were friends with Jess, who joined at the same time as us. Jess and her hubs moved back to Austin a few years ago and we were able to catch up with her for dinner at the Hula Hut. The service wasn't great, but the company and views were gorgeous!!
Following dinner we went to this street of bars that looked like cute little houses from the outside, then on the inside each of them had a theme. It was called Rainey Street. We were super tired and had not planned on staying out late, plus, it was a Sunday night. So we just walked in a bunch of them to be nosey and then headed back to our cool little apartment we were renting for the night. It was a fully furnished apartment and we wished we would have been able to stay there for multiple nights. And the shampoo they had in the shower dispenser - I don't remember what kind it was, but it was minty and our scalps tingled for hours!
Day 5:
University of Texas - Austin
LBJ Museum
Lunch at The Shady Grove
Waiting at the Airport for hours
Early on Monday morning, we returned our rental car and got an uber ride from a nice man who told us he started driving uber to "save his marriage." He had recently retired and his wife told him he needed to find something to get him out of the house! ha.
He dropped us off at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library and Museum. It was so cool. I admitially didn't know much about LBJ before visiting his museum, but now I realize how much he did during his presidency that are important things in today's society - seat belt laws, civil rights, clean air, vocational education, food stamps, housing, childhood nutrition, GI bill, age discrimination, school breakfasts and so much more!
His museum was so cool. It was multiple levels and not as interactive as others, because it was built in the 70's, so no computers, etc. It was very visual though. One exhibit I liked were these old pay phones that you could listen to a variety of phone conversations he had had. He recorded all phone conversations. I listed to the phone call he made to Rose Kennedy after JFK was shot, one a few weeks later to Jackie Kennedy, and so on. We also got to see the Oval Office of his presidency, but we couldn't go in to it, just look from afar.
| The outside of the building. |
| The inside. Those are four levels of his archives. |
| He was a close talker, so here we are chatting. |
| I love this quote. |
| LBJ's oval office. |
| Bird's office. |
| Us with LBJ. |
After we left the museum, and took a bunch of pics of the water fountain, we walked thru the University of Texas - Austin and then went to lunch at this place called The Shady Grove. It had been one of our options the night before and we had driven by it earlier. It was basically an outdoor restaurant where all of the tables were under a grove of trees. It was beautiful and I'm sure at night it's a lot of fun because they had a stage and a dance/bar area too!
![]() |
| Not my picture, but one of the place a night. |
| I always take a picture with the "O" in front of other stadiums. |
It was during lunch that we found out our flight had been cancelled and we were going to be put on a later flight, which would then make us miss our connection. So we hurried to the airport after lunch to try to get on an even earlier flight. It didn't work. And we ended up being at the airport for days. Just kidding, it was really just a few extra hours. But for real, it was probably 5 hours. But they did give us some chips and baby cups of water.
We did in fact miss our connection in Atlanta and arrived around 1:15am. By the time we exited the plan, walked to the service counter, rebooked a flight for the next morning (7am), got a hotel for the night, walked to the hotel shuttle, waited on the shuttle, rode the shuttle to the hotel, waited to check in, checked in and went to bed, it was almost 3am. We had to be on the shuttle to go back to the airport at 4:45am. (All the annoyed faces.)
We finally got home the next morning and drove to Ripley. I took a shower (and maybe a nap?) and headed back to Columbus!
It was a great little adventure to Texas!

No comments:
Post a Comment