Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Holidays 2015

The holidays came and went pretty quickly.

This year was a very chill holiday season for me. I had one gathering with friends and then our family stuff on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Back in mid-December, I got together with all the girls I met through blogging (or through blogger friends) for our annual Christmas get together. I blogged earlier in December that it was 5 years ago that I met these girls at an early December get together, and we have been doing this every year for 5 years now. These are my best girlfriends here in Columbus. I'm so glad to have them all in my life.

Bestest Girlfriends

I didn't take any vacation time off around the holidays because I would just have been sitting around my apartment doing nothing, or sitting around at my parents house, so I worked. No one was in the office so I was able to work in the quiet, which is sometimes torture and sometimes a blessing. I'll take my vacation days this summer when I can be outside in the sunshine!

Molly went home the weekend before Christmas so I had three days to myself in Columbus. Since Molly moved in with me last March, alone time has been far and few between for the both of us. So it was nice to just hang out by myself (and Bowie, of course).

Wednesday evening (Christmas Eve Eve) I was done with everything I had to do, I was all packed and I just sat in my recliner and stared at my pretty Christmas tree. My tree is full of ornaments from places that I've traveled or significant events in my life, so it was nice to just sit and look at them and reflect on all the great things I have in my life.



On Christmas Eve I headed to my parents place and my oldest sister and her family, along with my dad's brother, sister, and cousin Amy came to visit. Usually Christmas Eve is when we celebrate with my older sisters and their families. Holly, Eric and the girls didn't come to Ohio for Christmas this year. :( We had a good time and Cooper enjoyed all of the attention from the 10 adults. And he looked pretty cute when he was grilling for us with the little grill that Molly got him!

Wickham Family


Later that night, Molly and I got dressed up and went to Christmas Eve Candlelight Service with Teresa at Grace United Methodist Church. They do a great service that combines scripture readings and songs that walks you through the birth of Jesus Christ.

Christmas Day we didn't go to Mam and Papaw's until about 1pm, so we did gifts with my parents and little sibs that morning. I got a nice pair of Victoria Secrets satin pajamas that I asked for, along with a cute sweater from my pinterest board. Molly got me a book of things to do around Ohio, so we'll be making lots of little trips once the weather warms up and Tyler got me a new Buckeye Nation shirt from Homage.

At Mam and Papaws we had lunch, so it was different than the typical Christmas morning breakfast that I've always loved, but with Papaw being a little out of commission this year until his surgery, I held no grudges. About four years ago, we started doing a Secret Santa type thing instead of everyone buying for everyone. This is nice because you get a really nice gift usually (and you don't have to spend so much to get stuff for everyone) but it also means that you don't get to buy for everyone! Ha. So usually Santa Emily delivers something to Mam and Papaw prior to or after Christmas. I can't help  it, I love my grandparents and want to show them that.

My cousin Kate got my name and I got a stepstool (which I'd been wanting and hinting about) along with a JOY decoration and some candies. I had Lauren's name and knew that she was wanting a mustard color throw for her bed, and I found the perfect one at Homegoods. I also got her these little magnets that look like Pantone color swatches.



We played a "Deal or No Deal" type game with fun Christmas gifts. Some where nice, some were "zonks". And we also watched the Cleveland Cavs game on TV. Since Grandma Primer passed 5 years ago, we don't go anywhere on Christmas night to get together with that side of my family. :( Instead, we headed home and Molly found old videos of us when we were little and we watched those for a few hours - basically just doted on how cute Molly was as a child and how awkward I was. #nothinghaschanged

Saturday and Sunday of that weekend I spent at Mam and Papaws and also played "supermarket" with Layton and his new cash register. The Holiday Tournament was during the week, so I didn't even get to go to that and run in to a bunch of people I hadn't seen in years!

On the 30th, it was Mom's birthday (57) but also the last day that Erica, David and little Charlotte were going to be in Ohio, so I drove down to Piketon and had dinner with the entire Shepherd family, held Charlie until she didn't like me anymore (or needed to eat) and played a Frozen memory game with Elle and Sawyer. It was a fun evening. Oh, and Greg made peppermint ice cream which was delicious! I did visit my mama and took her her birthday gifts from us. And some peppermint ice cream too!

I didn't have any plans for NYE. I actually kind of wanted to just sit at home and not do anything, but I knew that would have turned into a pity part eventually, so Molly and I went to Cincy and stayed with Cara. We got all fancy and went to J. Alexanders for dinner, got cheesecake to go from the Cheesecake Factory, and then went to the Include Public House for a drink with an awesome view of the city. We finished the evening out by being home in time to watch the ball drop, all while we were wearing our silk pajamas and jewels with a glass of champaign! It was a pretty good NYE in my book!



Satin PJ's, jewels, and champaign. Bring it 2016!

New Years Day we stayed in Cincy and watched the Bucks beat the luck out of Notre Dame! It was such a good game after the lack luster games we had watched the night before. Horrible, horrible games!!

Our favorite emoji!

Three queens in the Queen City!

Then Molly and I headed home to Pike County to do a little visiting with the grandparents and shopping at antique places in Greenfield. And such was the end of the holidays.

But you wouldn't know the holidays were over by looking at my apartment. I still need to get all of the decorations down! This week is my goal!

My mantel this year.

My cute little trees.

Garland around my window with my Christmas cards from friends/family.

No comments:

Post a Comment