Since it's almost the end of the year, I guess I should give another update on how my resolutions are going. I haven't looked down the list yet, but I'm going to guess it's not going to be a good thing.
1. Be at work on time every day. Ehhhh....this comes and goes. I usually get there around 9 and work through my lunch almost every day unless it's something special. Since it's getting darker early I have even been working until 5:30/6 some nights. Nothing to rush home for when it's already dark outside. And this week I've even packed my gym bag and gone straight to the gym after work! Shocking, right? If I'm going to run on this team marathon in February, I have got to be running every day.
2. Cut back on 'after school activities'. I have been much, much better about this since school started, but it has also caused me to feel like I'm not doing my job. Whether it's missing exec meetings for the organizations I advise or leaving as soon as the general meetings are over and not staying around to chit-chat.
3. Sign up for a half-marathon and get to the gym. Stacie and I did not actually run the full-marathon or even the half-marathon in October. The last 5K I ran was at the end of August, so Molly and I are doing one on Thanksgiving Day and then I'm signing up to run a marathon relay in February with some folks from work.
4. No fast food. I have done horrible at this since school started. Occasional trips to McDonalds during lunch. And Arby's. Ugh.
5. No social media. Still on it. I tried to give it up for November again. I think I maid it 10 days.
6. Study my Bible daily. BSF has started back up and I've not been doing great about getting my lesson done every night. Which reminds me that I should do that this evening! :)
7. Be a better communicator. Ugh. This is such a work in progress. God has been teaching me and convicting me of something new every day. Which sometimes has me looking back and regretting something I did or didn't do a lot. Usually it's something I didn't do or say because I was afraid. I'm not a good listener. I try to talk over people to share my bigger and better story. I don't know how to be vulnerable and have this wall up so I don't get hurt. But I usually end up getting hurt anyway because I don't know how to share my feelings. These are all things I've been learning about myself and working to change. But still....ugh ugh ugh. Work in progress every single day. Why is it so easy for some people and so hard for others? Suggestions?
Do not feel upset about not necessarily reaching your goals! All of those goals are great. However, it might be easier for you next year when setting them to make them more specific. Then, you can really track and observe more clearly if you are reaching them and how far you have to go. For example, the 'cut back on after school activities' could instead be specified to 'attend no more than one or two after school activities each night to be fully invested'. For the 'be a better communicator', I know we have talked about this a little bit. Start small. One step at a time. Set a goal this week of "OK, I am going to give a genuine compliment to one person each day" or "I am not going to interject in any conversation for a full day". Bad habits only need replaced by new, better habits. It just takes time; we both know how impatient humans are. :)
ReplyDelete