Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Decorating the Tree - new ornaments for 2013

I added a few new ornaments this year, although after hanging them all last week, I feel like I'm missing a few new ones. I don't know which ones they are but I'm sure come January I'm going to come across an ornament that I 'put up so it doesn't get lost'.

I don't buy any souvenirs other than Christmas ornaments and postcards when I travel somewhere. If they don't have those, then I'll just treasure my photos or buy an ornament later to represent the occasion. Sometimes it's thrilling to go on the hunt for the perfect ornament (like at Disney, where I had an entire store to choose from!!) and other times it's exhausting (like in Nassau, when not ONE shop sold ornaments). 

While all of the ornaments have special memories, there are a few that have extra special meaning because it was doing something new and exciting for the first time.


 
Probably my biggest personal accomplishment for 2013 was completing my first half-marathon. I went to Florida and ran with Erica in the Disney Princess Half. This ornament didn't come from Disney (I actually just got it this week in Columbus), but it still shows that we did it. I also elected not to have my time put on there, because it wasn't a competitive race. Maybe I'll write it on the back for my own record? I have another ornament (not pictured yet) that will have a pic of me and Erica in our race medals.

In March, I took a group of students to Arkansas for the National ACT Conference. While there we visited the original Walmart. I really wanted a Razorback ornament from campus, but couldn't find one anywhere!. :(

I also got my passport this year and made my first visit outside of the United States, so when I saw this ornament at Target I had to get it. Now that I'm legally allowed to travel outside of the USA, I can't wait to visit more foreign countries.

In November, I went to Chicago with a group of students. Since I have almost any ornament sold in Chicago (this was visit #15 for me), I picked out this one during our stop at Fair Oaks Farms in Indiana. We saw baby calfs being born while there. #presh

I can't remember if I posted about this one last year or not, so I'll share again. This ornament came from Dublin, Ireland. Two students, Darcy and Lauren, got it for me while they were there on a study abroad trip last December and I watched their kitten. It made it on my tree just days before Christmas. It was my first international ornament.

My second international ornament came from the Bahamas this summer when I went on my cruise. Do you know not one souvenir shop in Nassau sells ornaments? When I retire I'm going to move there and set up an ornament shop. I literally bought this one as we were walking through the customs screening to get back on the boat.

The gift shop on our cruise ship had an ornament that was a replica of our boat, but of course, I forgot to go buy it. So I just got this one at a local store here in Columbus and had them personalize it for me. I might add our names to the front of the ship or leave it as is. Thoughts? 

Last year after I did my 2012 ornament post, I traveled to the University of *ichigan for basketball game vs. the Arkansas Razorbacks. I got a UM ornament (gasssssp!!), but it hangs at the very back of my tree where no one can see it! I do have a picture of the ornament on my tree, but I don't usually post disturbing pictures on my blog. You might lose your lunch if I share it. ;)


Other cool things I did this year that I forgot to get an ornament - rode my first roller-coaster at Cedar Point and went to Louisville. So I might need to hit up an after Christmas clearance aisle to see if they have any ornaments that represent those to things. But at the same time, it means so much more if it's actually bought at the time instead of months later. I looked at Cedar Point, and they didn't sell them. And I didn't really do anything ornament worthy in Louisville (no Churchill downs, etc). Although I did see Deirks Bentley...wonder if there is a glass ornament of him? hehe.

So there you have it, additions to my tree for 2013. Looking forward to collecting new ornaments for the tree next year. See the ornaments I added in 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I meant to ask you this awhile ago but where did you find the finisher's medal ornament? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I responded to this comment (four years ago to the day, oddly enough) but I got it at Baker's next to the Morgan House. :)

      Delete