Friday, August 17, 2012

Chicago Vacation

Last week I took an extra long weekend vacation to Chicago with my youngest cousin and two of her friends. Their destination was LeakyCon and my destination was Lincoln Park, the Maganificent Mile and where ever my feet took me.

We left super early on Thursday and made excellent time getting to Chicago. We were there 3 hours before we could check in! But our room was ready (except there were no towels or a shower curtain) when we got there, so we got to check in. The girls got their Harry Potter on and I went to the Park to visit my little girls.

We played, colored, and got a 'special treat' from Sweet Mandy B's. Best cupcakes in Chicago. Believe me, I've tried multiple places.









Thursday evening we all went to bed pretty early because we were so tired and we had to be up early on Friday morning.


I started my day with a run along Lake Michigan and the river in downtown. Seriously loved it. Running is fun in a place like that.







After that I did a little walking around downtown and ran into a movie set. It was just for a bollywood movie. :( The girls and I went for lunch at Potbelly's and then I hopped on the train to go to the Cubs game at Wrigley Field, but they were sold out of affordable tickets, so I bought one for the next day's game and went on to Lincoln Park to do a little shopping. I saw a lot I wanted to buy, but little that I could afford. :(



Friday evening we did dinner at Giordano's Pizza. It was delicious. We walked a long ways to get to Ghirardelli's sundays and then to Navy Pier to ride the giant Ferris Wheel. Well, it was closed. So then we took the city bus back to the hotel. First time the girls had been on a city bus. :)







Saturday morning I met my elementary and junior high bff Kelly for brunch at the top of one of the shopping plaza's. At one time she lived right beside my sister in LP, but now she lives a little bit of a drive away, but still in Chicago. We hadn't seen each other or talked in a long time, but it was good to catch up and visit since we always say we're going to do it when I'm in town and just never have the time.


I did a little shopping after brunch (purchased skinny jeans!) and ran back to the hotel before jumping back on the train and going to the game at Wrigley Field! It was great and I'll have to do a seperate post about that, because I took so many pictures and it was just so fun!






Saturday evening we did a fancy dinner at Grande Lux Cafe, complete with cheesecake for dessert and then walked back to the hotel along the river and lake.






Sunday morning was another run while the girls slept in. Then while they went to their lunch, I packed up the car and we ran to Garret's popcorn and Magnolia Bakery to get gifts for the families back in Ohio.

It was a long drive home, can't lie. We left Chicago around 3pm, got stuck in some traffic, had an extra long dinner in Indianapolis and got back to Hilliard around midnight. I was soooooo tired.

But it was a good trip. And I love Chicago. If I didn't have this job I loved and knew my sis would be there for another few years, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment