Thursday, June 9, 2016

2016 Cap City Half-Marathon

I'm a little behind on my blogging and one thing I want to record and I didn't get posted before I left for Honduras was the half-marathon I ran in late April. 

All ready for the night before!

It was my second time running the Cap City Half-Marathon and I ran it with my friend Stacie. (She and I had started out together last year and then ended up finishing near each other too.) This time we ran together. Neither one of us had done a ton of prepping. My longest run was 5 or 6 miles, but I felt pretty comfortable going into it. 

All lined up!

We were not really that nervous, but also not fully prepared!

The race actually went really good. We ran a comfortable pace and didn't stop for a quick rest until we hit campus, so it was after 4 miles. We got a drink and walked a few minutes and then we were off again. We pretty much stayed with the 2:30 pacers - sometimes a little behind them, sometimes a little in front of them - and we were feeling good about finishing in less than 2 hours and 30 minutes because we actually started way after them. 

My mom was waiting for us around mile 10, so I briefly stopped to give her the jacket that I thought I needed earlier that morning (it was really cold when we got there, but I tied it around my waist around mile 4.5). I also took a swig of her McDonald's Sweet Tea. :)

The last 3 miles were kind of a challenge. I was getting tired. My hips were hurting. My hips!? That's never happened before, but maybe it's just another pain of growing older. :( 

My final time ended up being faster than my personal best, but it was less than two minutes less than last time I ran two years ago. I felt like I walked more last time, but I must have ran faster, where this time I just had a consistent pace the whole time. 

All done and ready for pizza!!

I'm so happy to have completed another race, especially a half-marathon. Some day I'd like to do a full marathon, I just don't know when, or if I have the motivation to train for it. I'm sure once I paid for the registration fee, I would be motivated to train and run every evening. I think I slacked on this race because I'd done two before I knew I could do it. The first one I ran back in 2013 I trained for every single day! If I do one, it will definitely be at Disney World, or another cool place and not Columbus!

For my birthday, Molly got me a plaque hanger thing for my race bibs and medals. For now it's hanging in my living room, but eventually this summer I'm going to redo my dining room/office and hang it in there. I added two medals to it the two weekends after I got it - a 2nd place medal from my finish in the Dogwood 5K and the participant medal from the half. 

It has the bible verse Hebrews 12:1 that says "Keep running the race that is set before you with endurance." I loved that because it's the perfect quote for how you should look going into a race and many other things in life!

A picture of a picture, but this is what's on my wall now.




No comments:

Post a Comment