On our forth day in Honduras we visited Pantaloen, which is an agribusiness organization dedicated to the processing of sugar cane to produce sugar, molasses, alcohol and electricity. When we first arrived we listened to one of their administrators talk about the business and the foundation they have. Social responsibility is one of their key areas, so they have a number of different things going on to give back to the community.
Following the talk at their headquarters, we traveled to a health center they have that provides a maternity ward for women to deliver their babies. I have only been in a few maternity wards, but this one was not one that I would want to go to deliver a baby. However, Angie shared with the group once we got back on the bus that this kind of clinic was very nice compared to the public hospital where women cannot enter until the baby is crowning (!!!) and they have to go home after 12 hours. This facility gives women the opportunity to have a dignified birth, and as someone who would be mortified if I had to lay on a mattress on the floor naked to give birth without meds, I appreciate their concern and care for other women.
 |
| This is the rom where the women would labor. |
 |
| This is the room where the babies are delivered. |
 |
| This is the room where the women recover. |
 |
| Everyone in front of the clinic. (I do not know why I'm leaning back!) |
Our next stop were the fields! We were able to see how sugar cane is planted and then we even got to try a hand at it too! These men and women who work in the fields do so during 12 hour shifts, in the scorching sun, and get paid about $10/day. Our guide did talk about the workers and how they have a special drink (similar to gatorade) that is available to the workers, but other than that, I feel like they aren't treated the best or paid fairly.
 |
| Fields that have been plowed and are ready to plant. |
 |
| Bundles of sugar cane stalk to be planted. |
 |
| A field worker covering up the planted stalk. |
 |
| Grown sugar cane. |
Once we got back from the fields, we enjoyed a wonderful lunch by the company. There were already a few employees outside playing volleyball, so our group joined them. I just took a few pictures because I could not think about playing volleyball in the 100 degree weather.
 |
| Volleyball game. |
We came back to the hotel and a few people went to the pool, while others hung back at the hotel and napped/got caught up on social media before going to dinner!
A few more tour days ahead, then we have work days for a bit, then a few more tour/rest/relaxation days.
Official trip blog: Day 4 post
No comments:
Post a Comment